Sunday, October 29, 2006

Fullerenes


The fullerenes are a recently-discovered family of carbon allotropes named after Buckminster Fuller. They are molecules composed entirely of carbon, in the form of a hollow sphere, ellipsoid, or tube. Recently discovered is the "buckyegg", by researchers at UC Davis. Spherical fullerenes are sometimes called buckyballs, the C60 variant is often compared to the typical white and black soccer football, the Telstar of 1970. Cylindrical fullerenes are called buckytubes. Fullerenes are similar in structure to graphite, which is composed of a sheet of linked hexagonal rings, but they contain pentagonal (or sometimes heptagonal) rings that prevent the sheet from being planar.


Carbon nanotubesNanotubes are cylindrical fullerenes. These tubes of carbon are usually only a few nanometres wide, but they can range from less than a micrometre to several millimetres in length. Their unique molecular structure results in unique macroscopic properties, including high tensile strength, high electrical conductivity, high resistance to heat, and chemical inactivity as it is round.

Fullerenes was my graduation seminar It was really fun searching and collecting information and knowing more about it, I thought I forgot all about it; but seems I still have some in my mind .... I tried to search for my paper but can't find it Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I felt that i have to write something about Chemistry since it's my major Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

for more Information http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fullerene

Next time I will write about my graduation Project Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

6 comments:

Dar said...

Someone started talking smart here ! Allah yer7am wallah i used to ENJOY chemistry !

CheeerZ!

SimSim said...

started talking smart ????? loooooooooooooooooooooooooool ya3nee I was talking idiot ??? loooooooool bedkom smartness ? ra7 ahrekom madaam heeek loooooool

Anonymous said...

3alaya el ni3ma ma ana fahma 7aga :D
Simsim i7ki 3arabi allah yerdai 3alaiki 7abeebti :p

Diana said...

Rana: ditto

Anonymous said...

They are molecules composed entirely of carbon, in the form of a hollow sphere, ellipsoid,
looooooooool
No kidding !!
belzab6 zai ma 7akat Rana

SimSim said...

rana, nana & sharifo: looooooooooool well this is the other side of simsim u have to know :D bas walla enno 7elweeh el chemistry right ? :P

5alas I will back to my random thoughts :D